Sunday 11 November 2012

Final Reflection on Learning


I took this module with the sole purpose of learning how to write a resume and application letter. Now that we are at the tail end of the semester, I can safely say that I’ve learnt so much more. The presentations that we were called on to do were the biggest challenge for me. These presentations came in various forms (i.e dry runs, peer teaching and the oral presentation). Each of these presentations was unique in their own way and required the presenters to be more aware of the topic at hand. Although the presentations were challenging, I took it as an opportunity to develop myself. Interestingly, these presentations also allowed me to gain insights into the type of person I am.
 
One thing that I have learnt is that regardless of the type of presentation you are giving, preparation is of utmost importance. One of the first steps of my preparation was to note who my target audience was. Fellow students, teachers, colleagues and bosses each have very different expectations. Thus, it is important to tailor your presentation to the specific audience. The second step of my preparation was to know my topic well. By knowing my topic inside out, I felt that I could naturally be more confident in my delivery. The final step was to rehearse my speech way in advance. That being said, no amount of preparation can actually prepare you for unforeseen circumstances on that day (i.e powerpoint going haywire etc.). In such instances, it is always good to keep calm and to carry on. I have realized that no presentation can be inch perfect. We should always just try to do our best.
The various types of presentations allowed us to work in groups. This fostered teamwork as well as rigorous planning of time. Various members of the group had different expectations of how the presentations should be conducted. It was important to ensure that each of the members could align their expectations and come to a consensus. This is perhaps where effective interpersonal communication was important. I made a conscious effort to always be aware of my emotions during each of our project meetings. If I didn’t agree with what another group member had said, I would try to negotiate so as to reach an agreement. Working in groups for the presentations, has made me realize the value in having good social skills.
 
 
Moving on from the preparation stage soon came the time to do the actual presentations. Keeping each powerpoint slide simple and uncluttered could make a huge difference in how the presentation went. I realized that by minimizing the words and using as many relevant pictures, I was more likely to capture the audience’s attention. I kept this in mind while working on the powerpoint slides for the final presentation. By doing this, I realized that the audience was more likely to follow what I was saying.
 
Another verbal skill which I picked up was the ability to emphasise the sentences that carried more meaning. To emphasise certain sentences, I would either slow down purposely or change my tone. Sometimes, I would even do both. By doing this, I was able to highlight to the audience the important take away points of my presentation. I feel that this is important as no speaker wants his audience to leave his presentation having learnt nothing!
 
 
In terms of non-verbal skills, I felt that having eye contact with the audience was a must. Instead of just giving a sweeping gaze over the audience, I practiced looking at each individual in the audience for a short period of time. I feel that by doing this, the speaker is able to build some sort of connection with the audience. Since the first presentation, I have been trying to improve my eye contact with the audience. I realized that I tended to refer too much to my slides while speaking. For the final presentation however, I felt that due to sufficient practice, I was able to improve in this aspect.

 If I were to summarise what I have learnt about oral presentations:

·         Always be prepared (know your audience, topic and speech)

·         Teamwork (be aware of your own emotions as well as in others and have good social skills)

·         Have a simple yet effective powerpoint presentation

·         Speak clearly and concisely so that the audience can understand you

·         Always have good eye contact with each individual in the audience

 
Thank you!

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Arvind,

    I agree with you that non verbal skill is as important as how you speak. Your body language can be easily be decipher by audiences, the example we learnt in class like not putting your hands in front of you show signs of being not confidence enough.

    And I can also vouch that you did not let your emotions take over your brain during our group discussions :) you always have a valid point if you disagree with something we said.

    All the best in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Arvind!

    Firstly, from my point of view, your presentation skill is outstanding all alone the way. I still remember the dry run. While Yang Mo and I were struggling on presentation, your groups were just having fun on the stage. I feel lucky to be in the same team with you. You have taught me a lot on proposal and presentation. Thanks! You are awesome.

    I agree with you that the presentation should be well tailored before present to audience. Actually three of you have given me many valuable suggestions to achieve this. I appreciate your suggestions. And I am glad that I accepted your advice.

    I agree that non-verbal communication is another important factor affecting our speech significantly. Because it shows the confidence, enthusiasm and that you are well prepared. I think in some sense, it is even more important than the content. Just imagine how unconvincing the presentation can be, if the presenter cannot give proper non-verbal cues. I think for the final presentation, you have done it very well.

    Good luck for your final man.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete